The Helping Hands Team expresses caring for UUCL members or friends who are experiencing challenges or significant life transitions. It does this by organizing and providing practical assistance during the time of challenge or transition.
The Team leader:
- is the initial point of contact for the Helping Hands Team for those identifying practical assistance needs.
- consults with members and friends with practical assistance needs to determine the nature of their needs, and how those needs change over time.
- coordinates the efforts of the Team Members in responding to needs.
- plans the annual budget with the Team and monitor the current year budget.
- with the help of team members, recruits volunteers to respond to practical needs in different areas and maintain a list of the volunteers and the areas in which they are willing to help.
The team’s responsibilities include identifying and scheduling available UUCL volunteers from the lists of those who can provide the type of practical assistance needed for members and friends. Some examples of types of practical assistance provided include:
- meals on a short-term basis (Preparation and/or Delivery)
- emergency babysitting
- respite care
- transportation to a UUCL event or to medical appointments
- a card or phone call to cheer a member or friend or acknowledge a significant life transition
- household tasks on a short term basis
Members: (2014-2015) Kristen Spencer (Leader), Lara Wilson, Carole Boulton, Martha Burbank (transportation connection), Rachel Gehringer